Cheerio!

🍰
Hello Mates: 

During this period of isolation I've decided to learn a new language, the Queen's English. I've been non stop binge watching "The Great British Baking Show," and my vocabulary shows it. If you "fancy a cuppa," go make a cup of tea and continue reading. 

The first phrase I learned (one of my favorites), Nancy looked directly at the camera and said, "Oh my, those biscuits are a real cock up." I thought perhaps I'd heard that incorrectly so I replayed it and sure enough that's what Nancy said, then I eyed the biscuits to see if they were shaped like a man's private parts. I was bloody addled as to the meaning of cock up. I asked my friend Google and she told me; it means mistake, a failure of large or epic proportion. So if we ever get out of this isolation and you hear me call something a "cock up" you'll know I've not turned to prostitution. At another contestant's station, Martha reads the recipe out loud; mix the flour, butter and water, then knead the dough, put it in the proof (let it rise) and then Bob's your uncle. Who is Bob? Why is he my uncle? British people are a wee bit daft.

A little later in the show when the bread is in the oven, Luis says, "I think I'll have a Butcher's Hook." That sounds like a torture device, you know that long hook you see sides of beef hanging from. Ah but no, a Butcher's Hook simply means, "I'll have a peek." As Norman gets ready to ice the sticky buns and the icing is at perfect consistency he exclaims "I'm chuffed," or extremely proud of himself.

I practice my new language with the dog.
"Blanka you're "cheesing me off." It's okay girl, mama is "narked" today, I need a "snog". I think after this walk I'll take a wee "kip." I'm going to "pinch" that newspaper. Don't worry Blanka I won't go to "Her Majesty's Pleasure." Tonight we're going to have a "scrummy" dinner then mama's going to have a taste of Scotch.

Just so that I don't go "Off My Trolley" I watch the exact opposite of The Queen's English in the evening. "Shameless" an American show about a family in the south side of Chicago. Here I learn street slang and "f" words. I just have to be careful of my surroundings regarding which choice of language I use.

"Toodle Pip" for now my dear friends.

Comments

  1. I love reading your blogs and look forward to more. Blanka is so adorable; give him a big hug for me. I'm afraid I will have to be the one out of 2 anti social person cause I won't be able to fit in my clothes if we ever get leave our houses.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. as always..............great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Bad Ole Days

The Stepford Wives

My Community